PICTURE THREAD

eclipse

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mRXmRue.jpg?1

CHINA! Only with 92% of the picture cropped out, because I don't think people would appreciate having their faces randomly posted online.

If I didn't go get my shitty camera stolen, I would have posted the "DO NO HARASS THE MONKEYS!" sign with me underneath it, frowning and crossing my arms.

mRXmRue.jpg?1

CHINA! Only with 92% of the picture cropped out, because I don't think people would appreciate having their faces randomly posted online.

If I didn't go get my shitty camera stolen, I would have posted the "DO NO HARASS THE MONKEYS!" sign with me underneath it, frowning and crossing my arms.

Which part you in? I visited the motherland at the start of the year

Which part you in? I visited the motherland at the start of the year

Actually all over, I landed in Beijing and stayed there for three days, seeing touristy things like The Great Wall, Forbidden City, etc, then moving on to Changsha, Hunan for my spring semester over at Hunan university. I stayed there for a month, but didn't just stay in Changsha, I went to places like Zhangjiajie mountains, an ancient village, Yueyang, etc.

After my semester, I did a bit of travelling, going to Sanya in the tropics, as being Canadian, I've never seen climate above +35 Celsius, nor have I seen tropic ocean. I also went to Nanwan Monkey Island, about two hours out of Sanya. Then to catch my train, I stayed in smelly Haikou, which on the other hand, had an amazing, chill nightlife, full of barbecue stands, beer houses and whatnot. Then I went to Xi'an, stayed in the old city for four days, whereupon prostitutes always tried to pick me up in broad daylight, and upon accidentally wandering into the gay cruising area after hours, got stuck in the bathroom, as this man refused to move away from the door. Lastly Beijing again to catch my plane, this time I did all my shopping in places like Wangfujing and the Silk Market. I think next time I go, I'll look for more obscure markets, as I noticed Wangfujing liked to mark up its prices, as it's a touristy part of Beijing, whereupon the little marketplace in Zhangjiajie had the same stuff, only literally 10x cheaper, with bargaining, STILL.

Overall, my two months in China were great, and learning valuable travel tips the hard way (ie: bring toilet paper EVERYWHERE, don't bring your camera with you when you go off to drink on the streets), I definitely want to go again to see places like Fengdu, Shanghai (I met a friend from there), Sichuan, to try their food which is apparently supposed to be amazing as Hunan's food was, and Guanzhou.

Actually all over, I landed in Beijing and stayed there for three days, seeing touristy things like The Great Wall, Forbidden City, etc, then moving on to Changsha, Hunan for my spring semester over at Hunan university. I stayed there for a month, but didn't just stay in Changsha, I went to places like Zhangjiajie mountains, an ancient village, Yueyang, etc.

After my semester, I did a bit of travelling, going to Sanya in the tropics, as being Canadian, I've never seen climate above +35 Celsius, nor have I seen tropic ocean. I also went to Nanwan Monkey Island, about two hours out of Sanya. Then to catch my train, I stayed in smelly Haikou, which on the other hand, had an amazing, chill nightlife, full of barbecue stands, beer houses and whatnot. Then I went to Xi'an, stayed in the old city for four days, whereupon prostitutes always tried to pick me up in broad daylight, and upon accidentally wandering into the gay cruising area after hours, got stuck in the bathroom, as this man refused to move away from the door. Lastly Beijing again to catch my plane, this time I did all my shopping in places like Wangfujing and the Silk Market. I think next time I go, I'll look for more obscure markets, as I noticed Wangfujing liked to mark up its prices, as it's a touristy part of Beijing, whereupon the little marketplace in Zhangjiajie had the same stuff, only literally 10x cheaper, with bargaining, STILL.

Overall, my two months in China were great, and learning valuable travel tips the hard way (ie: bring toilet paper EVERYWHERE, don't bring your camera with you when you go off to drink on the streets), I definitely want to go again to see places like Fengdu, Shanghai (I met a friend from there), Sichuan, to try their food which is apparently supposed to be amazing as Hunan's food was, and Guanzhou.

Jesus Christ, what an experience

I had to go on this stupid bus tour thing that took me all over so my family didn't actually have much freedom to explore until we split off from the tour group at Guangzhou. I honestly don't even remember where I stopped at besides Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou, the most fun we had on the tour was probably searching for wifi and praying it would work in the hotels or doing poses that would probably get us shot in front of monuments. Beijing was fucking horrible because we couldn't see further than 10 meters ahead, the best thing about it was having access to a private government restaurant room in Fangshan and getting a free dinner from a CEO of China Post with rare/old wines.

Guangzhou was the best because it was hilarious watching my extended family operate. We were on a bus to there and they kicked us out, next thing me and my brother know is we're getting put into a brand new massive black car with extremely tinted windows with two people in it who can only sort of speak Cantonese (we didn't understand the local dialect), then we were dropped off into some slummy village restaurant where we met up with our parents who got there earlier, they explained to us that our cousin and his wife picked us up and fed us shot after shot of some whiskey that burned me like nothing before. After that our other cousin who is about 40 years old takes us to a hotel in bumfuck middle of nowhere he apparently has connections to and lays down in cash enough money for the best rooms. Then the day after we go to my dad's village where we spend the day with my dad's brother who cannot walk, talk or eat (and was dressed like a respectable pimp, with the hat, suit and cane). We shared an emotional moment cause it was the first time he's seen my brother and I, all the village OG's came and had a feast afterwards.

edit: ok the tour wasn't that bad, but the thing is we only understand Cantonese, and the tour guides spoke in Mandarin, so my brother, myself and my cousins had to make our own fun because every day there was the routine of: go to some place to get sold things which we would reject for 2 hours, eat, go to an acutal tourist site, go to another tourist site or get sold things, eat, travel to another city and find a hotel, have dinner wherever.

Edited by Alb